The Apparition (2012)



Draco Malfoy and friends work to summon a demon into our realm. Dealing with Mudbloods just wasn't enough for Ol' Draco. He had to kick it up a notch.


The Cast:

Boy, handy Ben
Girl, sexy lil thang
Malfoy
Pepper the dog who sees dead people
Neighbors, because why not?

The Situation:

The Charles Experiment was a paranormal experiment carried out in the 70s where a few people tried to contact the ghost of a deceased teammate. Many years later, a group of college kids attempt to recreate the experiment. The first time they opened the door. The second, they attempted to contain the ghost but instead opened it wider. 

Now they are dealing with a malevolent spirit who wants to be in their world and won't stop haunting them until it gets what it wants.

Resolution:

Draco shows up and convinces them that they need to try to recreate the experiment but in reverse, hoping to close the door that the ghost came in through.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))



The Apparition was the result of a college experiment to summon a spirit and capture it. I know they say that "College is a time for experimentation," but I'm pretty sure that whoever said that didn't mean that it was okay to summon demons. Still, ya gotta love the movies where ALL evidence points to a haunting and yet somehow, someone is able to convince everyone else that shit is cool, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

My biggest gripe with this movie was the characters making very stupid decisions/statements and I've seen enough of this genre to know that if that's my biggest gripe, then you're okay as a film. They clearly tried to do the best with what they had and aside from its faults, it's actually a pretty creepy film. But shit like nailing yourself in a room with a ghost flat out ridiculous.

My lesser gripe being that they come up with a girl who is not only sexy, but talks trash, drinks beer and can whoop ass in Street Fighter 4. Then immediately threaten her life. That's my horror movie dream girl. You take your filthy spirit hands of her you Damn Dirty Demon! 

Being ghost smothered by a bed sheet is stupid but hilarious. I bet she regrets that 500 thread cotton.

Again, it wasn't a terrible movie, but it wasn't great. I thought the whole premise was that the ghost was thought into existence and needed them to believe it was real to survive. At least that's kind of how it was marketed, iirc.


Stray Quotage:


"We believed that we were studying this entity. But it's been studying us."

"Your house is not haunted. You are."

"What were you thinking?
      Well at least I didn't run away, act like it didn't happen.
I did not!" [Yeah, you did]

"Where are you going? You can't abandon this house. You're not even dressed!"
      Yes I can! There's no way I'm staying in this house tonight!" [She was seriously in a t shirt and panties. No stocks no shoes.]

"Do you want to leave?
      No. My parents are counting on us to look after their place. I can't tell then that their house is haunted." [Stupid reason]

"Your house killed my dog."

"I thought that if you didn't know anything, you'd be safe. I was trying to protect you." [Hiding a demon is different than scratching a car, dude]

[Walking in after seeing he's busted] "I can explain...[it's not what it looks like... Classic Defense]

 

Violence? Eh
Explosions? Of demon rage
Nudity? Teased, never delivered

2 comments:

  1. No bueno huh? I kind of wanted to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did all they could, but it could have and should have been much better.
    If you know someone that has it, I say call them up and watch it that way. Wouldn't even waste a rental on this film.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)