AVATAR - (BluRay)


Image via (Covershut.com)

What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said?

I'll try this: Avatar is a completely overblown spectacle that takes itself way too seriously. The graphics, the art, the CG, all beautiful, but overall and especially in terms of story structure and plot, this movie sucks.

On BluRay, this movie is visually spectacular and I can only imagine how it looked in 3D, but once you strip the graphics from the movie, you have nothing. James Cameron's goal was to create beautiful images with the specific intent to sell a story, and that is never more apparent that when you look past the images and actually watch the movie. I'm pretty sure that's how he sold the concept to movie execs: "I'm James Cameron. I'm going to create a whole new viewing experience. You think I give a Fuck about a story? My images will sell this story." (Truthfully, I think he did the same thing with Titanic and The Abyss, and by the end of those flicks, I was rooting for the Iceberg and the Aliens respectively.)

By the end of Avatar, I was rooting for the military just because I was tired of the message and the goddamn hissing blue people Cameron was trying to shove down my throat.

-If you like movies with a "message" you just might enjoy this flick.
-If you're in it for the destruction, understand that it is at least 1 1/2hrs before the military finally shows up and wrecks shit. But even then, you don't get much. The destruction is beautifully rendered and the sound transfer is excellent. But I'll stop short of saying its worth it, because it isn't.
-If you're in it for Nudity, there is none. There's a few scenes where you would think, "You know, I think I just saw a blue nipple," but chances are, you didn't.

If you must have this movie, buy it in BluRay. If you just want to watch, I recommend watching in installments or with friends and family because sitting through this movie sober is no easy feat.

7 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better myself. It suckedddd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie was graphically brilliant! I don't give a F@ck what you say, Flix! Over 7 million people went to buy the DVD over the first weekend, that says a lot! Give credit where credit is due, and stop HATING!

    What pisses me off is that I bought the movie and it doesn't play in my Bluray player, it's telling me I need to upgrade the firmware, but my firmware is all up to date. That f@cking blows! But the movie still rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie was garbage. Plain and simple. "Graphically brilliant," does not equal good. I only wish you and everyone else who were sucked into the hype would acknowledge the weak story and flawed premise.

    What I've learned from this movie is that, people are more invested in pretty pictures than actual storytelling, and that's sad.

    Also, it sounds like you're mad at your BluRay player and you're taking it out on me. I'm sorry it doesn't work, but it probably acknowledges that the movie is shitty. Once you accept that, I bet it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem like a smart man, Flix.

    Every so often, a movie is released that take the next step forward in movie making. Cinematically, Close Encounters, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Matrix were all groundbreaking movies in their own right. They pushed the innovative button and discovered a new frontier. These flicks were ingenious and beyond their time. Respect the art, Flix! So what the story's not the greatest story ever told but visually NOTHING COMPARES! And you know this Man!

    Put down your Haterade and jump on the band wagon. There's plenty of room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the movies you've listed are innovative. The graphics did push the button and enabled a new era of cinematography in films. But, each movie also had a story that was either original or semi-original, and the graphics of each movie did not overpower it.

    Graphics, while pretty, do not sell a story alone. With Avatar, James Cameron knew that his story was suspect, and he just marketed the visuals instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we are a visual culture. We are all drawn to the pretty pictures, as you put it! That is why there are Best Cinematography, Visual Effects, and Art Direction categories at the Academy Awards, all of which Avatar won.

    Visual Effects is a vital part of the movie making process that cannot be denied. Whether the story was original or not, it doesnt matter, Cameron rocked the f@cking house!!! I can guarantee that every great, phenomenal story writer would love to have the accolades that Cameron received from his 'overblown spectacle' called Avatar.

    He is taking is 'poorly written', 'garbage' of a story all the way to the f@cking bank, my man. Stop Hating, Flix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are a visual culture, yes. However, when you pander to that, you are denying our critical thinking and just playing us for suckers. Its like when you sit children in front of a TV and they just watch because of the bright colors and flashing objects.

    Personally, I just demand more. Do you not? Or
    are you just satisfied watching colors and flashing images?(as long as they are in 3D) Everyone (minus children) should want a story that works with its visuals, not one that is crushed by them.

    As for the awards it won, did Avatar win any of the other awards for actual acting or story? No. Why? Because the movie did not contain and was not about that. It was about a new "way to watch movies."

    In the court of public opinion, it doesn't matter how much money a film makes, if it isn't good. There are still some people who value story over visuals. Which is why Avatar didn't win the "Movie of the Year" Oscar. That's also why Cameron wasn't too broken up over not winning.

    Visual effects are indeed a part of every movie, but lets take your movies from earlier specifically. When people discuss those movies, they discuss how the graphics enhanced the story, and even today, they discuss both hand in hand. When they discuss Avatar in the future and right now, its graphics, graphics, graphics. James Cameron is caking, and he will continue to do so, everyone who thinks this movie is garbage is labeled a Hater. Thing is we're just providing an alternate opinion. One that clearly goes against the grain. We just want you Avatards to acknowledge the flimsy story and admit that it is just a pretty movie.

    Also, you don't have to censor yourself on this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)