Expendables 2 (2012)



Mr. Church reunites the Expendables for what should be an easy paycheck, but when one of their men is murdered on the job, their quest for revenge puts them deep in enemy territory and up against an unexpected threat.


Mercenaries for hire are back and with Stallone owing 5million to Bruce Willis, he comes to collect in the form of a job. He tells Stallone he wants him and his crew to collect the contents of a safe from a crashed plane in China. Among the contents of the safe is the location of an abandoned Russian plutonium mine that he doesn't want to fall into the wrong hands. Bruce also insists they take a bad ass safe cracking Asian (who wasn't bad on the eyes) along with the mission. After they retrieve the map, they are ambushed by Van Damme and his #2, American Ninja Scott Adkins, who has plans to sell the plutonium worldwide. On their way out, they manage to kill one of Stallone's red-shirts, (badassly, I might add) and the stage is set for vengeance.


Expendables 2 is a guy flick. Nothing more, nothing less. There were a few scenes of unnecessary drama and I'm trying to remember if the first had as much drama as this one. I don't think it did, but I guess we can chalk up the drama scenes to being the calm before the storm.

The dialogue was once again choppy and cliched, but I really wasn't too worried about that. Why? Because I'm not in it for the dialogue and it's clear that neither were they. They were there to do reckless shit like throw missiles at helicopters, which was a feat I didn't think could be topped, until they used a running motorcycle to take one down.


Random thoughts (because I, have no where else to put them):

  • Hey remember that scene in Conan where Arnold randomly punched out a camel? How about a scene where Dolph Lundgren randomly throws a chicken? Because that happened.
  • Chuck Norris shows up, saves the crew AND manages to drop off a "Chuck Norris Fact" along the way. 
  • Chuck Norris in this film for about 10 minutes total.
  • I really do like VanDamme as a villain.
    The gun that Terry Crews used is ridiculous and I'm glad they brought it back from past one.
  • I'm surprised they wrote out Jet Li so quickly, but i guess you don't need two Chinese characters on the team. 
  • There are two dope kills in this film: A Helicopter decapitation and roundhouse knife to the heart.
  • The climactic battle between Stallone and Van Damme is something we've been clamoring for hypothetically for years and it wasn't disappointing.



Expendables 2 is just an excuse to fuck shit up but with more stars of the older generation. It's a reason to show that they've still got it. I can't argue with that, but the slow dramatic scenes are behind them. Aint nobody got time for that.

Out of Ten? 7.5

Violence? Yes
Explosions? Yes
Nudity? No

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)