Dredd (2012)





In a violent, futuristic city where the police have the authority to act as judge, jury and executioner, a cop teams with a trainee to take down a gang that deals the reality-altering drug, SLO-MO.


Metro City is overrun with crime. The High Council recognizes that they are losing the war and if the city falls, all is lost. In their desperation, they have pushed to recruit more judges. Among the class is a woman who applied for judgeship previously, but was denied. It turns out that she is one of the most powerful psychics and they assign Judge Dredd, a highly decorated and capable judge to partner with and evaluate her.

On their first assignment together, they investigate a triple homicide and find evidence that the head of a powerful gang may be involved. A routine assessment becomes a fight for survival as They attempt to infiltrate her building and take her down. She quickly locks it down and the only way out is to fight their way to and kill the queen.

God Save The Queen.

Judge Dredd is a decent film. Not terrible, not great. The reason I avoided this film was because I thought it would be too much like The Raid. After watching, I think that's exactly the reason it's getting the acclaim that it is. This movie is, The Raid, but set in the future and significantly less awesome. Judging on its own merits however, Judge Dredd was violent, gory, and it took no prisoners. I was definitely impressed with it's presentation. However, I lost interest towards the latter half of the film. I don't know what happened, but I just stopped caring. Maybe I'll have to watch it again, (and if I do, I will gladly update or do another review) but on first impression, I'm saying 6.5. It was an unnecessary knockoff. There just wasn't much there.


Out of Ten? 6.5

Violence? Hyper
Explosions? Yes
Nudity? No

1 comment:

  1. Definitely not my kind of movie. How do you find these?!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)