With help from his friends, a Memphis pimp in a mid-life crisis attempts to become a successful hip-hop emcee.
The mang man is back, mang. Terrence Howard is DJ, a pimp/dealer who--in the midst of a midlife crisis-- decides he wants to be a rapper. (I'm surprised the character wasn't revealed to also be a basketball star at some point.) For the rest of the film, he focuses his time, money and hoes towards achieving his dream.
I'm going to go full DJ in this review. * Ohh it's on, mang!
You see, mang, Hustle and Flow...is like a inspirational tale mang, for ignorant people, mang. The message behind it is cliche (and hammered in) peep this, mang:
"Everyone has a dream and it's up to you to see it through."
You know, mang, I feel confident in saying that the folks stuck in the hood, mang, would respond well to this film mang.
Soundtrack was dope, mang. I mean mang, it gave us a glimpse of music production as the songs were created, mang, from the ground up, mang. But I can't believe that they went with "whoop that trick" as the first single, mang. "It's hard out here" was much more radio friendly, mang.
This exchange between DJ and Ioni pretty much sums up the film for me:
Ioni: One day you'll have to explain that to me.
DJ: What?
Ioni: What the fuck it is that you do.
*never go full DJ.
Out of Ten? 7
Violence? Surprisingly very little, mang.
Explosions? Only of lyrical lyrics, mang.
Nudity? Mang, One of his hoes dances at the local nudie bar, mang.







0 comments:
Post a Comment