Collector sets



***Needless to say, this refers to collector' sets that you can get ON SALE. Paying full price for any collector's set is never worth it.***

The thing about buying collectors sets, is that they often include some piece of shit sequel/prequel that you don't want. So the question becomes, "Is it worth it?" And by that I mean, "Can I stomach paying for and actually owning this bad film?"

Well, depending on the film series, I say you're allowed (at most) 2 bad films in a collectors set. I break it down like this:

3 film set = 1 bad film
4 film set = 1 bad film
5 or More films = 2/3 bad films.

It's all about averages. And most films offer about one bad flick per series. Once you get 2 bad films, the value of the set decreases and you aren't getting your money's worth. ie, you are actually wasting money buying crappy films and you'd do better buying them individually.

The question is, are you getting enough value with the set to justify buying that bad film? In my opinion, the answer to that depends on the movie(s), the design of the set and any promotional material and special features that come with it.



For example:

Hellraiser.
Not every movie in that series was good. But I love, love, love, this box set. Look at its design. See how it tries to distract you from that fact that one, or more of these movies sucked? It's a goddamn puzzle box. That's so dope. 

via (horrordvds.com)

The Avengers
Love the Blu-Ray box set, but I'm not a fan of every movie.(Iron Man 2, Ed Norton's Hulk, Avengers) But the set comes in a S.H.I.E.L.D. briefcase. Again, dope. It's a six disc set, and according to my theory, there were guaranteed to be about 2 or 3 that I don't like, so I'd buy this set.



Spiderman


via (comicbookmovie.com)

Let's look at this logically. The first Spiderman was good. Second decent and the Third was outright trash. 
You could spend the money on this box set, but why even bother allowing the third movie into your house? Such a lame design as well. I could stomach one bad film, but I would only buy 1 of these and that would be Pt. 2 if he didn't take off his mask so fucking much.


Die Hard
Via (dvdextra.hu)

I like John McClaine. He's a good dude. But the Die Hard series needs to stop. On the surface, this looks like a fantastic box set. But if you drill deeper, you'll see why I wouldn't pick it up. Yes it comes with a book, and a complete behind the scenes disc. But, it also comes with Live Free or Die Hard, A Good Day to Die Hard, and to a lesser extent, Die Hard 2: Die Harder.


Anyway, those are just a few examples; Two good and two bad.  Ultimately, it will come down to if you like the films or not. You are guaranteed to think at least one of the movies in a box set will suck though.

You're welcome to prove me wrong.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny you say Die Hard needs to stop. I haven't seen the latest one still but I was saying last night I wish they'd do a new Lethal Weapon. Yeah, I said it. I loved those growing up. Although, instead of just shooting the bad guy, Mel Gibson would anti-semite rant him to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murtaugh has been officially declared, "Too old for that shit." But Mel Gibson's anti-Semite rants seem to keep him young though. Danny Glover might want to look into that shit.

    Luckily, Lethal Weapon has stopped at 4. It didn't even need four films, but the best thing 4 did was introduce us to Jet Li.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)