***An iCheck Movies Listed Film***
***Killer Shrews are #49 on the Most Wanted Killer Animals List***
On an isolated island, a small group of people are terrorized by giant voracious shrews in the midst of a hurricane.
Seriously, killer shrews? Yeah, I'm in.
The Cast:
- There's Captain Thorne, our hero.
- Ann the damsel in distress/zoologist.
- Jerry the muscle/jealous ex.
- Mario the latino servant/handyman
- Drs. Baines and Craigis
- And Rook, Thorne's shipmate and right hand negro
The Situation:
On a remote island, a team of scientists carry out genetic experiments with the goal of making smaller humans. They had been using the local wildlife as test subjects. In an unintended result, the shrews, became giant sized.
As they have exhausted their food supply, the humans are beginning to look mighty tasty and they are desperate to get at them. The film then subtly transitions into survival horror as they try to wait it out in a wooden house surrounded by shrews who are slowly eating their way through.
For the humans, The only way off the island is the boat that is docked on the other side of the island. Aka they'll have to walk directly through the beasts.
Here's a quick rundown of what they're up against:
- There are about the 300
- They are giant
- They weigh about 100lbs
- They dig
- They are extremely poisonous
- They are starving which makes them deadlier.
How They Escape:
Creating a walking tank out of aluminum barrels and duck walking across the beach then swimming to the boat once they hit water. Try as they might, those crazy shrews just couldn't bite through. Idk they didn't just dig though.
![]() |
| Dig! Dig you Fools! Work for your Meal!!! |
The Killer Shrews is a surprisingly well paced film. It was an hour long movie that felt longer than it was as the first half was all set-up, dialogue and characterization, yet there was still time for action when it was time to escape the island. I'm an impatient guy though. I was calling for the shrews about ten minutes in. "No more talking, just get to the shrews, dammit!!!!"
You should know that this is a black and white picture and in addition to the shrews, the dialogue is something to look out for. One of the characters, Jerry, is a legit punching bag for the bulk of the film. It's hilarious. Second best part of the movie, aside from it being about Giant Killer Shrews, of course.
I like the old killer animal films. They are inventive and most importantly, they are only an hr long. Plus, even in the 50s the black dude is the first to go. Shrews like dark meat, I guess.
Stray Quotage:
- Jerry: Everyone in the world is scared of something. Ann: Yeah that's evident. When they came at us last night, you knocked me down to get inside the fence. Jerry: It's just that I can't stand them.
- Ann: I know. I'm not saying you created them Jerry, I am saying that because of your drunken stupidity in leaving the cage door open, you've created the horrible situation which now exists. Jerry: This was a mistake any one of us would have probably made.
- Ann: I'm Sorry I had to threaten you with a gun. But I didn't know how else to stop you.
Thorne: No, it was very effective. But all you had to do was tell me about them.
- Ann: You're a strange man Thorne. You just seem so disinterested in everything.
Thorne: Let me tell you something. I'm only interested in anything that concerns me. Then I do something about it.
- Dr. Craigis: We can't afford to get even so much as a scratch from these animals.
Thorne: What do you think they're all affected?
Jerry: Best way to find out is key then all bite you and see what bites you die after.
Thorne: We might just all get that chance, Jerry. You included!"
Ann: And I've discovered something I can't stand...
Violence? Yes
Explosions? No
Nudity? No






This was also a movie used by MST3k (http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Killer_Shrews), so you should give that one a looking at if you want even more hilarity (IMHO).
ReplyDeleteI may have to check that out one of these days. I kinda not so secretly enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would.
ReplyDelete