Walking down the street on my way back to work, I'm stopped by a sullen looking young man. Since he now has my attention, he begins to tell me about how he's lost his wallet and he can't get home. In between that starting point and the end of his story, let me share with you what I learned about this man that day:
- It is hard for him to ask for money on the street (this is actually true for maybe the first few days/weeks)
- He feels that we have a kinship so he's more comfortable talking to me.
- He has a daughter with some type of debilitating disease
- He is a Christian
- He only needs $10 to get home
- He has a job
- He throws wild parties
- He has an iPhone (fully charged)
- He would rather ask for money than rob people. He used to be about that life though.
- He's sold drugs, but he's not about that life because he has a daughter.
- He and I could be cool people because I don't judge and because if the aforementioned kinship.
- [He apparently has no friends that could help him out ]
I let him finish, then hit him with: "So here's the thing. All of that is well and dandy, but what is it that you want?"
This motherfucker says, "I know what I want, but I'm not expecting you to give me $300."
This motherfucker was out in these streets panhandling for $300. Trying to get a week's worth in one shot, I guess. I kinda gave him the side-eye and he quickly changes his tune to, "I'm saying even $100 would be good."
Really?
Well, I'd take a Ten...
Yeah...see. I just came back from lunch and I spent all my cash. I can't help you. You know what, I think I have a dollar. At this point, I blindly reached into my pocket and came up with a crisp $10 bill. Like fresh from the bank, crisp.
"Oh, hey, you have a ten right there."
Yeah...well we both know I'm not giving you a ten. Here's a dollar.
He had the nerve to look upset, as if I owed him money for the deception. Like he had never thought that one of the people he was trying to con would actually lie to him. At that point, I started to explain why his existence was flawed:
You already said you needed $10 to get home. I just gave you one. If you stop 9 more people, you can get home today. Also, why the fuck--no. You know what, you got a dollar. Good luck with the rest of your day.
"Alright thanks."
===============
I have no idea why these mofos stop me. I must have sucker written on my face. On top of that, I have no idea why I even entertain these sob stories.
My two main questions were:
- Are we that bold as beggars to ask for $300 from random dudes you stop on the street? I appreciate the compliment (that I look like I have money) but really? What the fuck?!
- You have a fully charged iPhone. How about you call one of those other motherfuckers you party with and have them come get you?




0 comments:
Post a Comment