A social worker fights to save a girl from her abusive parents, only to discover that the situation is more dangerous than she ever expected.
Renee Zeilweger squints her way through this film as a dedicated social worker with 38 active cases before another is dropped on her desk. After reading about Case 39 (Wink. Wink. Nudge), she heads out to do a site visit and meets both the child, Lily, and her parents. After a very awkward and creepy visit, she is convinced that the Lily is in danger and tries to persuade her boss to remove the her from their care.
About a week later, Lily calls her claiming that her parents intend to hurt her and she rushes over just in time to save her. She then adopts her hoping to give her a better life. After some time with her, strange incidents begin to occur and after people start to die, she learns that life with Lily may not be all that it seems.
Case 39 is a better movie than I would have given it credit for. It's a bit like The Omen, in which a child touched by the supernatural can run rampant in a world that only sees them as innocent children. The little girl playing Lily plays both precocious youth and creepy demonic pre-teen and her transitions from one to the other are amazing.
Overall, I'd say it was better than I thought it'd be, and not completely terrible. I actually liked it, and if you asked me about it, I'd say it's good, but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it.
Violence? Eh
Explosions? No
Nudity? No







Good. This is on my never-ending list of movies to see. For as much as I hate creepy kids in movies, things like this or The Omen are always must-see for me.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the best creepy little kid movies that I've seen.
ReplyDelete