The Devil's Double - 2011


Baghdad, the playground for the rich and infamous, where anything can be bought - but for a price. This is Uday Hussein's world and with his depraved lust for debauchery and immorality, he helps himself to whatever turns him on. When army lieutenant Latif Yahia is summoned to Saddam's palace, he is faced with an impossible request - to be Uday's 'fiday' - his body double, or have his family condemned to death. In a world entrenched in betrayal and corruption, knowing who to trust becomes a matter of life or death for Latif, as he battles to escape from his forced existence.

What U-Day Hussain(Saddam's son) wants, he gets. And he wants an old classmate, Latif, who even then.bore an uncanny resemblance, to be his brother.and lookalike. After flat out refusing, he was  given the "do this or we'll kill your entire family" speech and he reluctantly agreed. After tailoring  his look, he's immediately thrust into a life of luxury, brutality and intrigue and becomes his "brother" to all in the social circle and his duplicate to everyone outside of it. After living the life and the seeing the insanity and brutality firsthand, he tries to break free and is punished. Long story short, he spearheads an assassination attempt on ouday, cripples him and flees the country.

Uday is a delightfully insane character and dude has a Solid. Gold. UZI. Whattup. 

The film was set during the Gulf War and occupation of Kuwait. When Saddam was at the height of his power and his find were living the life of wealth and privilege. I have no idea just how much of the story is true, but apparently U-Day Saddam Hussein was a party animal-slash-cooze hound, with a serious mean steak. At one point,  He disembowels a man. Then shoots him in the head. Because he's psychotic like that.  Classy.

Stray Quotage:

-"I could fuck that."
     "It's her wedding day!"
"Hmm...you think she'd let me put my finger in her butt?"

-"Allah, gives me nothing. Everything I want, I take for myself."

-"I like cunt. I love my country, I love my mother, I love my father, but I love cunt the most!"


If you look like Uday Saddam Hussein (or any other infamous historical figure), and you are trying to escape him, why not shave or cut your hair? This part of his logic gnaws at what is an otherwise good film.
Outside of that, I acknowledge that Dominick Cooper is a fucking awesome actor. He played both roles to perfection. I seriously thought they were two different people.


Who the hell is this guy?!!!

Here's the Trailer if you're interested:




Violence? Yes. Did I mention that a guy got disemboweled? Cuz that happened. Some dude was seriously watching his intestines spill out onto the table.
Explosions? Off-screen
Nudity? Pfft. "Everyone get naked or I will kill everyone in here!" This starts an impromptu nude party.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)