National Lampoon's Van Wilder - 2002



I remember when this movie first dropped. I skipped it entirely. I remember how they shit on the "National Lampoons" name by just putting it on every movie, so I thought this would suck by association. Holy Shit, was I wrong.

In this flick, Ryan Reynolds stars as Van Wilder, a man of the people. He needs about 18 credits to graduate, but he loves the college life. After being cut off from his father, Van and his friends decide to raise money so he can stay in school. After being set-up, he comes to the realization that he's been hiding from reality and he can't stay in college forever.What else is there to do but graduate?


Daniel Cosgrove provides the stereotypical performance as Richard Bagg. The rich, snooty, upper-class boyfriend of Tara Reid and nemesis of van wilder. Not only does he play it as one of the best (of that type), he is also on of the best actors in the movie. When he gets his comeuppance, its hilariously well deserved.

A combination of dry wit, sarcasm, gross out humor and the many many college co-eds give this movie what it needs to be successful. And the movie launched the careers of Ryan Reynolds, Tara Reid and Kal Penn. My only question is, why would they cast Reid as a journalist. She probably couldn't even spell the word.

Van Wilder surprised me. It was both funnier and more interesting than I thought it would be originally. It reminds me of a simpler time. College. Where everything was easy and the real world didn't yet exist. If I had to pick one college movie, this would definitely be in the top 5.

Good Movie am I rite? rite? Yeah, that' guy knows what I'm talking about...

Out of Ten? 8

Violence? Mild.
Explosions? "Mega Colon Blow!"
Nudity? What would a college movie be without titty?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)