Jumanji (1995)



When two kids play an old magic board-game they found, they release a man trapped for decades in it and a host of dangers that can only be stopped by finishing the game.

It's been years since I watched Jumanji. Watching it again recently, I realized that it's a fairly dark film. A man is sucked into a board game for 26 years, a young girl is deemed psychotic for telling people that story, his family is dead, there's a man hunting him, and sadistic animals wreaking havoc throughout the film. But I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it now, especially now that I can appreciate the darker aspects of the film I wasn't able to notice before.

I know some of you are saying, "Flicks, How dark can this movie be? It's a family adventure. You're over exaggerating."

Hmm...Am I?  Here's a direct quote from the film:

You think that mosquitos, monkeys, and lions are bad? That is just the beginning. I've seen things you've only seen in your nightmares. Things you can't even imagine. Things you can't even see. There are things that hunt you in the night. Then something screams. Then you hear them eating, and you hope to God that you're not dessert. Afraid? You don't even know what afraid is. You would not last five minutes without me.

And he's giving that speech to a little kid.


Out of Ten? 7

Violence? Surprisingly, none
Explosions? No
Nudity? No

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)