Monster Squad (1987)




So, for people like me who haven't seen this, Dracula assembles a team of monsters, consisting of himself,The Mummy, A werewolf, Frankenstein, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. His goal? Take over the world and rule with monsters.

A few kids that have formed a Monster Club at school uncover clues to the current existence of monsters. To that end, they've become the Monster Squad, rationalising that there is no one else who would be able to do anything to help and what brings these two groups together is Van Helsing's journal. The kids have it and the monsters want it. There is also an amulet which balances the forces of good and Evil. Dracula intends to use this to rule the world. The kids have one night to find it and end Draculas threat.

   VS.
The Battle of the Century?

Idk why it took me so Long to watch this movie. Shit, I don't even know how I hadn't heard of it until recently. Dracula forms a team of monsters in an attempt to take over the world? How I say?! How could I have missed this?!?!?! Then it turns out that it was a film that bombed and gained cult status many years later. Knowing that, I don't feel so bad.

Can we talk about some of the characters though?
  • Patrick is not a good friend. maybe it's a nervous tick, but he continuously throws his friend under the bus during the opening scene. Funny, but ultimately no bueno.
  • Fat Kid a.k.a. Horace. Shit, I think that if my name was Horace, I'd go by Fat Kid too.
  • Rudy. You are not a tough guy. You can be. The shades and leather were cool, but you need to lose the socks/jeans/loafers look. Seriously.
  • Scary German guy, who the fuck are you? The film alludes to you knowing more than you let on, but just how much is never revealed.
  • Dracula is a beast: Pissed that they hit him with a garlic pizza, he brings dynamite and blows up the Monster Squad clubhouse. Then dynamites the only black guy just cuz and bats it up and flies away. Not to mention that at one point he shows up in a classic Black Rolls Royce steps out and only says, "It Begins." (which gives rise to the monsters.) My question is this: When did Dracula learn how to drive and how did he get his own custom car?

Stray Quotage:
  • The guy was totally homoing out
  • In our defense, she's boring and has a cat shaped head so they call her meow mix. I don't because that's bad.
  • She's married?! Oh my god! Some guy home kisses her at night?! Like a priest says, "I now pronounce you man and wife" and it was okay with them?!?!
  • Your sister doesn't speak German. All she does is hang around the school and let guys touch her tits.
  • Sean, that guy creeps me out. Aah he's just on welfare. 
  • Wolfman's got nards!!

Stray Obsevations:
  • There are a lot of anti Gay remarks. Reminds me of a simpler time in cinema...
  • Sean is wearing a "Stephen King Rules" shirt. Love it.
  • There's a neat homage to the old Frankenstein films as the Monster ominously walks upon a little Girl playing by herself in grass.
  • It's been established that they only had a day to save the world. So why did their montage feel like it spanned a week? They even faded it out so it seemed that more time had passed. I love a good montage though, so it didn't bother me, just feel like pointing it out.





Monster Squad escapes persecution because it's an older film, however I can say that it'd score pretty high. There's comedy, there's action and they even reference classic film lore regarding the monsters. It is the type of film that I kinda wish that I had seen it initially, but I know that I wouldn't have appreciated then it as much as I did now.

Violence? Yes
Explosions? Dynamite. Treehouse. Boom.
Nudity? Teased, never delivered.

2 comments:

  1. So if you were to grade it, hypothetically, what would it get? Glad you finally watched it. It's a fave of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hypothetically? 4/5

    The Wolfman's human side and "The creature" were kinda weak. Luckily for them Dracula stole the show.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)