In Iron Man 2 Tony stark is an asshole. But as we'd eventually learn, the suit is killing him each time he uses it and his defense mechanism was to become a arrogant dick, as he knew he wouldn't live much longer. As the movie goes on, it becomes a tale of redemption, as the unflappable and cocky Tony Stark, falls from grace, becomes humbled by the experience and gets a new lease on life, courtesy of his father. The film even goes so far as to have Tony fight Rhodes in an cliched bromance fight. You know, one of those fights that happens when you have to literally kick some sense into your bff.
This flick was star heavy, yet everyone seemed to cancel each other out. Sam Rockwell killed as Justin Hammer. ScarJo didn't have to act in this one (and that actually worked for the better.) And Mickey Rourke's
Russian villain was meh. I did like the addition of Don Cheadle however, as Terrance Howard was way too whiny for me. Sam Jackson makes appearances and even the director, Jon Favreau gets screen time as he
plays Happy Hogan, Tony Stark's driver. For the sequel, we got a ton of new players and my initial concern was how they would mesh and/or be used, and somehow, the movie stayed level.
Iron Man 2 lays stagnant under the weight of its technology and its bloated cast. The tech was clearly the star of this film and I think that may explain why the movie went nowhere. As the focus was squarely on acquiring the suit, characterization suffered. As a whole, it definitely feels longer than the first and I while I don't want to say that Iron Man 2 was boring, I will say it was not as entertaining as part 1. I'm hoping part 3 delivers.
Violence? Yes. But surprisingly no one was killed.
Explosions? Plenty
Nudity? No





0 comments:
Post a Comment