The Tarantino/Rodriguez collaboration Grindhouse renewed an interest in the old Grindhouse movies.
(3 more after the Jump)
These 3 movies I haven't yet seen. If I get the chance, I'll def watch and review them. Until then, enjoy the posters.
These posters are awesome, and you can find the whole collection over here.
(Hat Tip: I Heart Chaos.)








Man, Five Fingers of Death could never be a B movie. One of the original kung fu flix from back in the day!!
ReplyDeleteThat shit is a classic!!!
Also, the Mack is another 1970's classic! What era are you from, Flicks?
ReplyDeleteMan, I'm a movie fanatic.
ReplyDeleteI try to watch movies from all eras, So my discussions are more well rounded and I'm not confined to the bullshit that Hollywood puts out now.
Besides, how could I miss 5 Fingers and The Mack?
I mean, who would take me seriously?
Flix, I'm saying to you that when the Five Fingers of Death was released, it was far from B-movie status.
ReplyDeleteThis movie was as exciting as any movie you have ever seen, Avatar included!! The whole f@cking theatre was kung fu fighting on the way out the door. I must have seen it in the theater about 50 times, no lie! This was the first English dubbed kung fu movie, as I remember, that was ever shown in an American theater. Three kung fu movies for $3, two action movies and one love story. We'd sit in the theater ALL f@cking day! I also remember we used to go to Chinatown in NY to see 'authentic' kung fu movies with English subtitles.
Five Fingers is a major part of my childhood 'movie going' history. This could NEVER be a B-movie, my man!
When 5 Fingers dropped, it started the Kung-Fu craze, which explains all the excitement.
ReplyDeleteYou experienced it first hand which, even you have to admit gives you a biased slant because you hold it closer to your heart. But by today's standards, that movie is a B-Movie and cult classic.
Technically, even by the standards back then it could be considered a B-Flick. "Three Kung-Fu flicks for $3?" We both know that would never happen with an "A" movie. It is definitely not a knock on the movie or its worth, it is just the way things are categorized now.
I'll tell you what though, I will change the headline to read "Cult Classic/B-Movie Posters," so it will be a catchall instead of a limiter.
Flix, I dont think you're being fair. You can't compare movies of yesteryear, with old technologies, to movies of today and call them B-movies. If that's your criteria, then all older movies are B-movies! Movie standards have naturally progressed across the board. And YOU know this, Flix!
ReplyDeleteAnd for your information, ALL the movies were $3 back then, your so called A-movies included.
The Shaw Brothers' 5 Fingers of Death was the stepping stone for the next round of kung fu movies such as the Bruce Lee, then Jackie Chan, then Jet Li classics. The Shaw Brothers Production were the ultimate movie factory of its time. Those movies are still the shit! But according to you and your standards, those are B-movies too.
Get it together, Flix.
I agree that I cannot compare the technologies, but that wasn't what I was aiming for. The logic that I've been working with is this: Since Kung-Fu flicks fell from the mainstream, they've been called either cult or B-movies.
ReplyDeleteThe discord is that I wasn't there when it dropped, so I can't accurately call it an A-Movie. At the same time, even if I was, I'd still have to go by where we stand now.
Even you have to admit, most of the "good or best" flicks are widely remembered. I'm NOT saying this is a forgotten flick, its just not widely remembered outside of people who were there firsthand (such as yourself) and people who follow these types of movies. For example, Game of Death, and Enter the Dragon are widely remembered and are still circulated. Conversely, people don't discuss 5 Fingers of Death at the same level.
And don't get it twisted. No one is arguing the greatness of the Shaw Bros. flicks. They've put out quality work, well worth any accolades due to them. (My Favorite is "5 Deadly Venoms," but that's another debate.)