Kick Ass

Kick Ass...does not actually kick any ass whatsoever.

Oh, Mighty IMDB, lay that plot on me:
Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan who one day decides to become a super-hero, even though he has no powers, training or meaningful reason to do so.
Full disclosure, I was one of those people who "read the book first." Traditionally this means that what I'll expect and what I get will be two different things. I accept that, but this movie overall, was more lighthearted than the comic. Rumor attribute that to Nic Cage, but that's another topic.


Kick-Ass, the movie, straddles the fine line between boring, and entertaining. Undeniably, the stars of the movie are Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Every scene with those characters is awesome. But the problem is every scene that doesn't include them seems to drag.

I thought the movie was decent overall and surprisingly well acted. For a movie set in a comic book universe where someone dresses like a superhero and fights crime, everyone stayed within their characters and didn't chew scenery. With one exception. I didn't agree with the casting of Nic Cage. He played his civilian character a bit over the top -as he's known to do- and although his Big Daddy character bothered me a bit, I liked it. Also,*spolier alert*([Highlight text to read:] as much as I like to see Nic Cage die on screen, Big Daddy was a bad ass character.
Overall, I say watch it, but be sure to watch it with friends. The movie is not bad, but it really isn't that good either.

Movie Posters via (MoviePosterDB)

Violence? Hell yeah.
Explosions? Someone fires a Fuckin' Bazooka at one point.
Nudity? No pervs, she's only 13. Jeez.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Action (231) horror (179) 3-Star (178) thriller (143) comedy (132) International (109) 2-Star (103) Drama (98) Sucks (96) Sci-Fi (80) 4-Star (78) Crime (72) Supernatural (62) Animated (58) Adaptation (52) original (47) Awesome (43) Dark Comedy (42) Cult Fave (41) Karate (38) Art (37) Teens (37) 1-Star (36) TV (36) gun play (35) Mystery (34) fantasy (34) 5-Star (33) Girl Power (32) independent (31) Killer Animals (29) Listed (29) Asia (28) Revenge (28) Subway (28) infected (26) BadAss (23) B-Movie (19) Creepy Kid (18) Support (18) Grindhouse (17) Swords (17) thoughts (17) Adventure (16) Found Footage (16) Romance (16) documentary (16) Ensemble (15) Police (15) Remake (15) BBC (14) Japan (13) Marvel (13) Aliens (12) China (12) True-ish (12) Vampires (12) War (12) DC (11) Holiday (11) Reality (11) lists (11) BLOG (10) British (10) Hitmen (10) Korea (10) Retro (10) Director (8) History (8) Monsters (8) Ninja (8) Future (7) Jail (7) Message (7) Mobsters (7) Musical (7) Spain (7) Sports (7) anthology (7) rant (7) Englund (6) Spy (6) Western (6) Bollywood (5) Live Blog (5) Parody (5) Disaster (4) Family (4) France (4) LGBTQ (4) Mila Kunis (4) Mockumentary (4) Thailand (4) biography (4) germany (4) mythology (4) subtitles (4) Chile (3) Douchestache (3) Fighting (3) Party (3) Politics (3) Sweden (3) Tasty (3) Africa (2) Australia (2) Dance (2) Food (2) Indonesia (2) Mexico (2) Noir (2) Philippines (2) Quick Hits (2) Travel (2) Werewolves (2) Brazil (1) Canada (1) Dutch (1) Finland (1) Gynmastics (1) Ireland (1) Netherlands (1) New Zealand (1) Road Trip (1) Russia (1) cooking (1) serbia (1) witches (1) wrestling (1)