After a woman accuses her gangbanging bf of cheating, he gives her the Chris Brown special and beats her down. After hearing of the incident, her amiga, Lucia, (with legs like tree trunks) confronts him and beats him with a bat. It turns out that he is the leader of the 5th Street gang and she's pretty much signed her own death warrant. Acknowledging that in the hood, there aren't as many things as important as your ride, She declares it "on," after they try to gun her down and get her car instead. She has decided to bring the war to them.
Tree Legs is in the middle.
Hoodrats II is like a homage to The Warriors (1979). After a violent incident, they are trying to get home and they'll have to fight their way through other female gangs along the way. The main difference is that they actually caused the mess that they are in.
If nothing else, Hoodrats teaches us the three rules to fighting:
-Never bring a knife to a bat fight.
-Never bring a bat to a gun fight.
-Never bring a bat to a trash can lid fight.
Seriously, they're wielding bats like swords, and they get stomped the fuck out by girls carrying trash can lids. Yes, it was as bad as it sounds.
Sidenote: I started the film liking Tree Legs because she was wreckless, but the Thai looking chick is the
MVP. Smart, Sarcastic and strong, She's everything I look for in a
Chicano gang member. And even though they seriously reused the same takes during the fight sequences, she was leaving people laid out left and right.Eventually, since this is a female empowerment film, all the female gangs show up to help when she confronts The Man, and the film ends with a big Kung Fu fight because, of course, everyone in the hood knows karate.
If you just read that and doubted that it's an empowerment flick, I'm going to spoil the ending for you:
The film ends with the affirmation that it's a woman's world. The men are done. The women run the streets now and as they walk off, they chant "Long Live the Queen!" towards Tree Legs after she wins the big fight.
With a title like Hoodrats 2, the last thing I expected was a girl power flick, but it had a lot more substance than I originally gave it credit for and for a low budget hood film It was well done and surprisingly entertaining. I didn't even know there was a Hoodrats 1!!! This was like one of those crappy hood novels come to life. I felt compelled to watch.
Violence? Yes
Explosions? No
Nudity? Yes







Sweet Jesus please tell me you're joking with this pick.
ReplyDelete'Fraid not.
ReplyDeleteI went in with such low expectations that I came out pleasantly surprised. Plus the ladies were sexy and everybody was kung-fu fighting.
It just worked as a good bad film.